Pages

Thursday 22 January 2015


Strata Smith at Hackness in Yorkshire
Dear North York Moors NP
I much regret that I was unable to reply sooner to your question of two days ago regarding my memories of Hackness in Yorkshire, but I am dependent upon the goodwill and availability of my host, Mr. Gamolfeax, who was taken up with other matters and who, for the most part, is available only until one o’clock in the afternoon. He was yesterday engaged in visiting a large theatrical outfitters in London, with a command from his peers at the Geological Survey to attire himself as Mr. William Smith in preparation for two forthcoming events at Keyworth. I have to say that he does not cut so fine a figure as the Original.
As to Hackness, I was invited by Sir John Johnstone, the enlightened proprietor of that estate, to become his land-steward in 1828, where I believe I spent six of the happiest years of my old age. Sir Johnstone gave me the greatest encouragement to continue with my scientific endeavours, as well as to arrange my existing papers with a view to bringing to perfection some unfinished writings on the English strata. My greatest joy was to execute a Geological Map of the Hackness Hills at the scale of 12 chains to an inch [six and a half inches to a mile], which map was lithographed by Mr. Day in 1832. I do not know that any man before me had ever constructed a geological map upon so large a scale or had laid down the lines of stratification in such intricate detail. You will doubtless be aware that stone from the Hackness Quarries was employed in building the round Museum at Scarborough.
I have been asked to keep this communication short, and therefore, I am most respectfully, Your Humble Servant, Wm. Smith.

No comments:

Post a Comment